99U Scholarship Program 2013: Official Rules
1. By submitting an entry to the 99U Scholarship Program 2013, you are agreeing to be bound by the following legal terms and by all decisions of the Contest Sponsors, which are final and binding.
2. The 99U Scholarship Program 2013 (the “Event”) is sponsored by Samsung Information Systems America, Inc. (“Samsung”), 75 W. Plumeria Drive, San Jose, CA 95134 and Behance, Inc. (“Behance”), 532 Broadway, 7th Fl, New York, NY, 10012. Hereafter the sponsoring parties, Samsung and Behance, will be referred to as “Contest Sponsors.” Multiple entries are not permitted. Subsequent entries associated with an individual or entity that has already entered will be disqualified. Multiple individuals or entities may collaborate to submit a single entry, but a single individual must be designated as an official representative for each entry. Each individual participating in a group entry must meet the eligibility requirements set forth in these Official Rules. Participation is subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. You are responsible for checking applicable laws and regulations in your jurisdiction before participating in the Event to make sure that your participation is legal. You are responsible for all taxes and reporting related to any award that you may receive as part of the Event.
3. ELIGIBILITY: The Event is open to all individuals who have not been convicted of a felony or crime of moral turpitude and to all validly formed legal entities that have not declared or been declared in bankruptcy. Employees and contractors of Contest Sponsors and their affiliates or subsidiaries and the immediate family members (parents, children, spouse, siblings) and household members (whether or not related) of such employees and contractors are not eligible to enter.
4. HOW TO ENTER: To enter, complete all required fields in the online submission form with the details of your proposal (collectively your “Entry”) via the 99U Scholarship Program 2013 Contest page at http://99u.com/articles/7596 (the “Event Website”). Entries must be received between 9:00 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) on August 12, 2013 and 11:59:59 p.m. ET on August 25, 2013 (“Entry Period”).
All Entries must be in English.
(a) Must describe in reasonable detail a business idea, in your good faith opinion, that is innovative and original to the Entrant.
(b) Must describe the value proposition and the expected impact of the product or service discussed in the Entry.
(c) Must describe what sets you apart as an entrepreneur.
5. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS: Contest Sponsors make no claim to ownership of your Entry or any intellectual property that it may contain. You are not granting the Contest Sponsors any rights to any patents or pending patent applications related to the product or service described in your Entry. By submitting an Entry, you grant the Contest Sponsors certain limited rights as set forth in these Official Rules.
You agree that nothing in these Rules grants you a right or license to use the Contest Sponsors’ name or any Contest Sponsors’ trademark or service mark. You grant to the Contest Sponsors the right to include your company name (if your Entry is from a company) as an entrant, and to use your product or service name, if any, to refer to your Entry, on the Event Website and in materials related to the Contest Sponsors’ promotion of the Event. Other than these uses, you are not granting the Contest Sponsors any rights to your trademarks.
Likewise, nothing in this 99U Scholarship Program 2013 competition requires you to negotiate or do business with the Contest Sponsors. You are free to discuss your Entry and the ideas or technologies that it contains with other parties and you are free to contract with any third parties as long as you do not sign any agreement or undertake any obligations that conflict with any agreement that you have entered into or do enter into with the Contest Sponsors regarding your Entry. For the purpose of clarity, you acknowledge that the intent of the 99U Scholarship Program 2013 is to identify talented emerging entrepreneurs and help educate them for success. But participating in the Event does not create an obligation on either your part or the Contest Sponsors’ part to enter into any further business relationship or to sign any commercial agreement.
6. CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION: Since the Contest Sponsors do not wish to receive or hold any submitted materials “in confidence” it is agreed that, with respect to your Entry, no confidential relationship or obligation of secrecy is established between the Contest Sponsors and you, the company you represent when submitting an Entry, or the owner of any part of your Entry.
7. WARRANTIES: By submitting an Entry, you represent and warrant that all information in your Entry is true and complete to the best of your knowledge, that you have the right and authority to submit the Entry on your own behalf or on behalf of the persons and entities that you specify within the Entry, and that your Entry:
(a) is your own original work or idea, or is used by permission with full and proper credit given within your Entry;
(b) does not contain confidential information or trade secrets (yours or anyone else’s);
(c) does not violate or infringe upon the patent rights, industrial design rights, copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity;
(d) does not contain malicious code, such as viruses, timebombs, cancelbots, worms, Trojan horses or other potentially harmful programs or other material or information;
(e) does not and will not violate any applicable law, statute, ordinance, rule or regulation; and
(f) does not trigger any reporting or royalty obligation to any third party.
8. JUDGING: All Entries received for the 99U Scholarship Program 2013 will be judged by an independent judging panel (the “Judges”) comprised of Samsung and Behance executives, researchers, technologists, or other advisors selected by the Contest Sponsors, who will evaluate all eligible Entries to determine which Entries will receive scholarships as described below. Entries will be judged on originality; preparedness for idea execution; innovative character; potential to create significant societal impact; and commercial feasibility in light of applicable market dynamics.
9. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By participating in the Event, you agree to release, indemnify and hold harmless the Contest Sponsors, each of the Judges, and their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotions agencies, as applicable, and each of their respective agents, representatives, officers, directors, shareholders, and employees (collectively, “Sponsor Entities”) from and against any injuries, losses, damages, claims, actions and any liability of any kind resulting from or arising out of your participation in or association with the Event. Sponsor Entities are not responsible for any miscommunications such as technical failures related to computer, telephone, cable, and unavailable network or server connections, related technical failures, or other failures related to hardware, software or virus, or incomplete, late or misdirected entries, or lost, late, misdirected, misdelivered, or mutilated mail communications. Any compromise to the fair and proper conduct of this Event may result in the disqualification of an Entry, termination of the Event, or other remedial action, at the sole discretion of the Contest Sponsors.
10. AWARDS: The Contest Sponsors will select twenty-five Entries pursuant to the judging criteria, each of which will receive the following awards:
(a) A complimentary all-access entry ticket to the 99U Pop-Up School 2013. This entry ticket may be used only by the individual Entrant in the selected Entry, and is non-transferable. Approximate value of $549.00.
(b) An opportunity to lead a small session at the 99U Pop-Up School, within the framework of the “unconference” portion of the program. Final presenters/facilitators will be selected from the twenty-five winners by the Behance production staff based on their enthusiasm for taking time to prepare a thoughtful and engaging session.
(c) A complimentary invitation to a private cocktail and consultation event to be held at the Samsung Accelerator headquarters in New York at a date to be announced, following the 99U Pop-Up School. This invitation may be used only by the individual Entrant in the selected Entry, and is non-transferable.
11. NOTIFICATION: The twenty-five potential award recipients will be notified via e-mail at the e-mail address provided in the Entry on or about September 4, 2013. Potential award recipients must sign and return a declaration of eligibility and liability/ publicity release within ten (10) days following notification to claim the scholarship. If the notification is returned as undeliverable, or if a potential award recipient fails to return the required claim forms within the designated time, or if a potential award recipient is determined to be ineligible or has not complied with these Official Rules, then that potential award recipient will be disqualified, all aspects of the award will be forfeited in their entirety, and another potential recipient will be notified according to the procedure herein. The Contest Sponsors will announce via the Event Website a list of twenty-five Entries to whom the Judges have made the awards after all twenty-five recipients have been confirmed. After verification of eligibility, the complimentary Pop-Up School ticket and instructions on participating as a facilitator, if applicable, will be distributed to the individual Entrant specified in the winning Entry. Entrants themselves are solely responsible for travel costs and other personal expenses associated with attending the 99U Pop-Up School and the private cocktail and consultation event at the Samsung Accelerator headquarters in New York that are not expressly included in the award. There shall be no additional cash award or other substitution if the award recipient is unable to attend the 99U Pop-Up School or the private cocktail and consultation event at the Samsung Accelerator headquarters in New York for any reason.
12. NO OBLIGATION: You acknowledge that multiple participants may submit Entries that contain concepts or technologies similar to your Entry and that the Contest Sponsors, their affiliates and business partners may already be investigating or developing technical solutions or business activities that are related or similar to those that you disclose in your Entry. You acknowledge and agree that the Contest Sponsors’ actions with respect to another Entry, even if similar to your Entry, shall not create in the Contest Sponsors any liability to you or others. Further, the Contest Sponsors are not and shall not be restricted in any way from pursuing, developing, or commercializing, in any way that the Contest Sponsors see fit, independent of you and at the Contest Sponsors’ sole discretion, any technology that is created independent of your Entry. For the avoidance of doubt, you acknowledge that the Contest Sponsors are not obligated to take any action whatsoever with regard to your Entry and you affirmatively agree that neither you nor your representatives, heirs, assigns, estate or other agents will assert any claim, cause of action, liability or other loss against the Contest Sponsors arising out of or related to your Entry in the Event.
13. WAIVER: By entering the Event, you waive all rights to seek injunctive or equitable relief, or to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or attorneys’ fees.
14. LAW: You agree that these terms and the relationship between you and the Contest Sponsors shall be governed by the laws of the United States and the State of New York, without regard to the conflict of laws principles thereof. Any disputes arising under or relating to the Event or these Official Rules must be brought exclusively in the state or federal courts located in New York County, New York and you explicitly waive any objections to jurisdiction or venue in such courts, whether due to forum non conveniens or otherwise.